In the News
TELL US YOUR STORY: We love to share stories about AgEdNet.com subscribers. If your school has been "in the news," send us a link to your story. CONTACT US WITH A STORY.
- Delphi FFA (Indiana) restored the 1945 John Deere B tractor presented by the National FFA Organization to John Deere in celebration of 75 years of partnership between the two organizations. The tractor was on display at the 2018 National FFA Convention. See before and after photos.
- Beresford FFA members (South Dakota) came out of a leadership contest to discover an apartment fire. The six helped others by going door to door to warn apartment residents. Read more details.
- Beaver Dam FFA (Wisconsin) picked and husked sweet corn for use in the middle school and high school lunch programs. Learn more.
- Students from David Crockett High School (Tennessee) built eight raised beds and grew vegetables to donate to their local food pantry. Read more.
- Milford Central Academy FFA (Delaware) recently collected 3,494 pounds of food items for the Food Bank of Delaware. It took six months of planning and pig-kissing played a part. Learn more.
- The FFA program at Windsor (Colorado) High School is 300-strong. Their program attracts urban as well as rural students, with only about 10 students coming from agriculture. Read more.
- Beaver Dam (Wisconsin) students are gaining hands-on experience with a litter of six piglets born in their large animal classroom. Learn more.
- Northview High School FFA (Florida) held its annual Blue Jacket Jamboree with a livestock show, egg drop, arts and crafts, and more. See details.
- Mason County Career Center students (West Virginia) have been busy planting wave petunia plugs and will soon be growing strawberries and planting their vegetable garden. Funds earned with these projects go back into the program for future activities. Learn more.
- Fairview FFA (Montana) is only in its third year as a chapter, but they celebrated FFA week with a full slate of activities. Events included presenting an assembly, a Kahoot game, a farm animal display and more. Read more.
- Pierz Healy (Wisconsin) students praised the life skills offered through FFA, including communication and confidence. They explained what they had learned in their greenhouse management and spring gardening classes. Learn more.
- Ellsworth FFA (Wisconsin) is celebrating the 90th anniversary of the National FFA Organization during FFA Week, and also their 80th anniversary as a chapter. Advisor Katie Christenson said FFA can help all students, whether or not they plan to pursue a future in agriculture, "with hands-on learning experiences and real-life situations." Read more.
- Red Bluff FFA officers (California) invited freshmen ag students to a hot dog lunch to promote FFA participation and membership. Learn more.
- Hot Springs FFA members (South Dakota) demonstrated parliamentary procedure skills at a monthly school board meeting. Read more.
- A Badger High School (Wisconsin) alum encourages interested community members to support FFA as boosters in the alumni club. Learn more.
- Moses Lake FFA (Washington) hosted its annual First Grade Farm Day, introducing 27 first grade classes to topics ranging from cattle dogs to welding. Read more.
- Mount Vernon Township FFA (Illinois) has an active program with 262 students. New students can choose from 23 events. Learn more.
- Congratulations to Katlin Thorsell, ag instructor at Washington High School in Charles Town, West Virginia, who has been selected as one of six finalists for the 2018 West Virginia Teacher of the Year award. The FFA chapter there participates in growing, harvesting and cooking food for community meals. Read more.
- Midd-West School District (Pennsylvania) is constructing a livestock barn thanks to an idea from a student with a passion for agriculture and a $25,000 grant from Monsanto. Learn more.
- The Harris-Lake Park High School (Iowa) FFA Chapter recently received $10,000 when local farmer Chad Hibma won a contest sponsored by Resicore herbicide. Hibma chose the FFA chapter to receive the donation because he wanted to give back to the organization that taught him so much during his years as a member. Read more.
- Lexington FFA (Nebraska) members had to replant their greenhouse plants after discovering contaminated soil. Learn more.
- FFA members from Hudson, Iowa, participated in a town-hall-style meeting with newly confirmed USDA Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue. Six FFA chapters from around the country were able to quiz Perdue about federal farm policy. Read more.
- The Miami East-MVCTC FFA Chapter (Ohio) distributed trees every fourth grader in the local school district and challenged them to plant their trees to celebrate Earth Day. Learn more.
- FFA members from Groton H.S. (SD) taught 4th-graders about agriculture at an annual ag fair. The article includes responses from student presenters about the importance of advocating for agriculture. Read more.
- Edison High School FFA members recently filled care packages for U.S. military personnel. Two FFA chapter officers proposed the idea after attending an FFA Leadership Conference in Washington, D.C., in July.
- Buyers at a recent Kilgore High School (Texas) auction spent $67,000 on students' items, almost double the previous year's proceeds. Read more.
- Northern Heights FFA members (Kansas) volunteered their time over spring break to help clear fences damaged in recent wildfires.
- Five members of the Zane Trace FFA (Ohio) participated in the Ohio CTE Showcase at the Ohio Statehouse, interacting with legislators and handing out food product samples. Read more.
- Weldon Valley (Colorado) holds its annual hired hands auction and dinner to support FFA activities throughout the year.
- Sussex Central FFA Chapter (Delaware) capped off their FFA week celebration with a home-cooked farmer appreciation dinner, a silent auction and testimonials from this year’s FFA officers.
- Danville High School FFA members (Pennsylvania) worked with Farm Bureau to collect nonperishable foods and household goods totalling over $19,000 for the Ronald McDonald House of Danville. Read more.
- North Decatur H.S. (Indiana) students celebrated FFA Week by driving their tractors to school.
- Northwest Technical School (Missouri) students started off FFA week with a community appreciation breakfast. Read more.
- Second-year Hot Springs FFA chapter (South Dakota) has been busy with competitions and community service. Learn more.
- Bowman County FFA (North Dakota) members participated in an ag activity day for younger students, introducing them to future FFA membership and agriculture careers. Read the story.
- Sparta High School (Wisconsin) has an ambitious food waste recycling project. According to agriculture instructor Eric F., the resulting dehydrated product can be used as a soil amendment, but does not work as a soil replacement. Learn more.
- FFA members from Brodhead High School (Wisconsin) worked with agriculture instructor Becky Wellnitz and Spring Grove Dairy to educate more than 600 fourth-graders about the origin of their food. Read more.
- An FFA member at Covington High School (Tennessee) brought his message about what FFA meant to his development as a student and a person to the school board. Read the story
- With the help of River Falls FFA (Wisconsin) and FFA Alumni, Donald Hershaw, River Falls FFA President, made it to the top 10 in the Delco Tractor Restoration Project and will be bringing his tractor to the 2016 National FFA Convention. Learn more.
- Jeanna James of Chippewal Falls High School in Wisconsin emphasized the need for a new crop of agriculture instructors. Read more.
- FFA alumni from West Perry, Greenwood and Newport high schools in Pennsylvania are raising funds for their FFA programs through a Farm to Fork dinner featuring all local products. The evening features some creative activities and a silent auction. Learn more.
- Agriculture instructors from several Pennsylvania subscribing schools gave a good explanation of how FFA works as an intracurricular activity developing students for the agriculture workforce. Read more.
- For at least ten years, FFA members from Moses Lake, Washington, have grown flowers and then transferred them to planters beautifying the city's downtown.
- The annual plant sale at Moses Lake High School (Washington) helps to pay membership fees for all FFA members. Read more.
- Congratulations to Tedra Bean, agriculture instructor at Belleville Henderson Central School (New York) who was selected as the 2015 NAAE Region VI Outstanding Young Member. Learn more.
- Agriculture instructor Farrah Johnson of Deltona High School (Florida) was honored as the 2015 NAAE Region V Teacher Member for her role in mentoring many new teachers. Learn more.
- FFA members from Northridge High School (Johnstown, Ohio) helped wrap thousands of seedlings for a county seedling tree sale. Learn more.
- Smyrna High FFA students (Delaware) organized a combination walk and food drive where over 700 people participated. Read more.
- FFA members at South Barber High School in Kiowa, Kansas, are helping to coordinate fence rebuilding after wildfires destroyed many ranch fences in the area. Learn more.
- Massaponax High School in Spotsylvania, Virginia, has more than 200 students taking at least one agriculture education class. Read more.
- Mohawk High School (Pennsylvania) students have great ideas about how to use the iPad minis they will purchase with a $2,500 donation from America’s Farmers Grow Communities. Learn more.
- At Flanagan-Cornell High School (Illinois), FFA seniors had high praise for agriculture instructor Jessica Collins as they prepared for an annual dinner and auction. Read more.
- Here at AgEdNet.com, we take our commitment to supporting FFA seriously. Janet Schneider, AgEdNet.com manager, has just finished a year as Wisconsin FFA Alumni president. This resource is no longer available.
- FFA week celebrations at Black River Falls FFA (Wisconsin) involved FFA members, fellow students and the community. Read more.
- Read about a full slate of activities during FFA week at Diller-Odell High School (Nebraska). Learn more.
- To finish celebrating FFA week, Neosho FFA (Missouri) served breakfast to more than 200 local business and community supporters to thank them for supporting FFA. Read more.
- Congratulations to Tracy Heinbuch, agrscience instructor and FFA advisor at Plymouth Comprehensive High School on being named a top influencer in career and technical education in a two-county Wisconsin area. Read more.
- Students from Bald Eagle Area High School (Pennsylvania) participated in the 2016 Pennsylvania Farm Show with miniature landscapes, a rabbit competition and a window exhibit. Read more.
- Three students from Grandville High School (Texas) built a 24-foot trailer as a senior FFA project. Read more.
- Nonnewaug High School (Connecticut) reported to the regional board of education about its experiences as seven teams from the school competed at National FFA convention. Read more.
- Agriscience students in North Huron, Michigan, donated 100 of the broilers they raised to a food pantry. Read more.
- Alumni and community members are working with FFA students at Wilcox-Hildreth High School in Nebraska to bring a much-needed free-standing ag education building from dreams to reality. Read more.
- The North Huron FFA Agricultural Issues team won a silver award at the National FFA Convention in Louisville with their presentation on the pros and cons of wind development in their area. Read more.
- Mackay High School is a small school in Idaho with only 35 students, but their FFA program has big ideas. They are now raising tilapia, rainbow trout and other fish. Read more.
- Students at State College High School in Pennsylvania used a $2,500 grant from FFA to grow plants and support a local food bank and other community projects. Read more.
- Centennial High School students in Nebraska successfully raised 98 pheasants from chicks as part of a natural resources project. Read more.
- The Mackay, Idaho, FFA chapter received $10,000 in travel expenses to the 2015 National FFA Convention and Expo thanks to Hailey Hampton's winning essay in a recent Culver's Essay contest. Congratulations! Read more.
- A Holcomb High School (Kansas) senior supports breast cancer research with her SAE project to raise and sell pink pumpkins. Read more.
- Cambridge School District in Wisconsin received a $10,000 grant from Monsanto to support ongoing projects at the 80-acre outdoor Severson Learning Center, including construction of permanent classroom buildings, bathrooms and learning stations. Read more.
- Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences, a public magnet school, has a 72-acre site which includes a 40-acre farm, an aquaponics unit and a farmstead. It's all within the city limits. Read more.
- SouthWest Metro FFA members used a moving animal exhibit to teach 900 Minnesota students about agricultural animals. Read more.
- Cambridge High School (Wisconsin) FFA members were among the volunteers providing assistance when 200 younger students had a "day on the farm." Read more.
- Students were grateful for ag instructor Ed Feasel's 28 years at Elmwood High School in Ohio. Read more.
- Plymouth High School students in Wisconsin raised two pigs which were then served in the school lunch program. Read more.
- Students at Sibley-Ocheyedan High School in Iowa wanted more specialized agriculture classes and additional FFA coaching, so they raised the money -- almost $400,000 -- to make it happen. Editor's note: This resource is no longer available.
- Stockbridge Valley Central School FFA members in New York hosted a "Maple Weekend" which included a pancake breakfast, sap house tours and other events. Read more.
- A Bay Port High School student (Wisconsin) recently used social media to share a project on hunger. She was picked for a $5,000 prize which her school's ag department will use to help pay for a hydroponic system. Bay Port is an AgEdNet.com subscriber. Read the story
- Fort Atkinson High School in Wisconsin (an AgEdNet.com subscribing school) was featured in a news video clip called "FFA: Not Just for Farmers Anymore." Editor's note: This video is no longer available.
- AgEdNet.com subscribing school, Plymouth High School, in Wisconsin is in the news for reaching a fundraising goal for a new Food Science and Agriculture Center. Read the story.
- Larry Plapp, agriculture sciences instructor at Badger High School in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, has been honored as a 2014 national ACTE award finalist. The school has been an AgEdNet.com subscriber since 2005. Congratulations! Article no longer available.
- Read how AgEdNet.com helps create meaningful learning. AgEdNet.com subscribers from Black River Falls, Wis.; Cumberland Regional High School in Cumberland, N.J.; and Sarasota County Technical Institute in Florida describe how they use AgEdNet.com in their classrooms. Learn more.
- Paul Heasley, ag science teacher at State College High School in Centre County, Pa., explains how he uses AgEdNet.com as a flexible teaching tool. Their nationally-recognized ag science program benefits from online instruction support of AgEdNet.com. Read the details.
- User Tips
Copyright © 2015 Stewart-Peterson Inc. All Rights Reserved. NC
STEWART-PETERSON and AGEDNET.COM are registered trademarks of Stewart-Peterson Inc.